NU Moves physiotherapists use manual therapy (including massage, joint mobilisation, joint manipulation and myofascial stretching) within most of our treatments. These can all be effectively used to assist recovery from injury or prevent future injury, keep you active and make you feel better.
The different kinds of massage we use are:
1. Sports massage to optimise the active person’s physical potential. This will alleviate tension which builds up in the body’s soft tissues during physical activity. It can help prepare you for sport or assist in after sport recovery. A sports massage is also used to control muscle and prevent injury.
2. Deep tissue massage (myofascial releases) focuses on the deeper layers of muscle tissue. The aim is to release patterns of tension in the muscles, through slow deep strokes through the muscle fibres. A deep tissue massage will loosen muscle tissue, release toxins and assist blood and oxygen to circulate properly.
3. Soft tissue massage is light to medium pressure aimed at relieving general muscular aches and pain, soreness and tension. This provides the general benefits of massage while retaining relaxation.
If you are a new client, we recommend a 45 minute massage to gain the full benefits.
Benefits of Massage
- reduce muscle tension
- increased joint mobility and flexibility
- relaxation and stress release
- improve circulation
- aid in sports recovery
- prevent sports injury
- quicker healing of soft tissue injuries